Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"Englishismos"

Just as they're are "Chilenismos" in Chile, there are certain slang expressions/ shortcuts in the English language that are not listed in the dictionary. The following are just a few selected at random. Using the examples given, try and deduce the significance of the following expressions: 

1) To wolf something down: "I wolfed down that hamburger in a matter of two seconds!"
2) Gotta: "I gotta get to class. It starts in 5 minutes."
3) To go: "Would you like your food to go or for here?"
4) Sick (very slang): "What did you do yesterday?" 
                                     "I went sky-diving!"
                                     "That's so sick! How was it?"
5) To catch: "Did you catch the cab?"
                      "Did you catch the game last night?"

6) I'm outta here: "I'm ouuta here. Talk to you later. Peace."

7) Gonna: "I'm not gonna do the homework."

No comments: